Short cycling is one of the most common and damaging problems your air conditioner faces. Additionally, it can also be an indication of other potential air conditioner problems and, if not taken care of, it might lead to increased energy bills as the air conditioner keeps consuming more energy and premature breakdown of your air conditioner.
Since an air conditioner is an investment, you need to get this problem resolved as soon as possible by contacting an AC repair Redding CA.
When your AC switches itself automatically, it can be said that it’s ‘short cycling’ and needs a fix as soon as possible. Understanding what is short-cycling, knowing the possible reasons that cause short-cycling and how it can impact your air conditioner’s efficiency and lifespan will help you identify the problem and fix it before it worsens.
The term short-cycling is used by the HVAC experts when the air conditioner tends to switch between on and off modes, essentially failing to cool the room to the required temperature.
Usually, an AC unit powers up the compressor and functions only till the thermostat registers the desired temperature. The AC unit then powers down the compressor. But in an air conditioner facing the short-cycling issue, the compressor is powered down prematurely before the cooling cycle ends.
This short-cycling condition can be caused due to many reasons, which are:
- Clogged air filters
- Incorrectly sized cooling system
- Low refrigerant levels
- Air leaks through breached ductwork
- Mis calibrated thermostats
Clogged air filters are one of the smallest problems that you can fix yourself. You just need to keep replacing the air filters every 1-3 months based on the type of filter your air conditioner works on. But, the other problems can not be easily fixed by yourself, and contacting an HVAC professional is essential. If it is due to an incorrectly sized cooling system, you would have to replace the entire cooling system.
Short Cycling Effects
As mentioned above, short cycling being a problem itself can also indicate future potential problems. These include:
- While short-cycling, the compressor goes on and off frequently, causing your air conditioner to consume more energy. It drives up your energy bills. Fixing this problem in the early stages will prevent you from paying more than what you need.
- Your air conditioner’s compressor gets damaged as long as short-cycling continues, which might cause your air conditioning system to overheat and burn out.
- Your air conditioner stops the compressor from working before completing the cooling cycle, which leaves your home without proper cooling and your desired temperature is never met by your cooling system.
Thus, your air conditioner short-cycling is a major problem that needs fixing as soon as possible. If you need any help with your air conditioning unit, you can always contact Air-O service the best HVAC repair in Redding, CA for your AC service in Redding, California, or AC Repair.
At Air-O Service the best AC company, we offer professional installation, furnace repair in Redding CA, and service on all makes and models of HVAC systems. Contact us today at (530) 221-4691 to learn more about the services offered by us.